Friday, January 8, 2010

The oil plug in my motorcycle would not tighten, if the oil pan stripped, how can I fix this? New oil pan???

I torqued down the oil plug to specifications, but the plug would not tighten all the way. The manual recommended 22ft-lbs which is not a lot. The first time I torqued it down to specifications it tighten fine; now it gave me problems. I know is only aluminum, but is it fixable? Would I need a new oil pan? Take it to dealer? Can I fix the threats myself or whatever is wrong with it?The oil plug in my motorcycle would not tighten, if the oil pan stripped, how can I fix this? New oil pan???
This is a common problem (even in cars). They have a plug (oversized) that fits into the drain plug. There are few designs. Some are just larger. Some are in two parts (the first part actually DRILLS or TAPS into the pan and within it sits new drain plug.)





Just ask around the motorcycle shops and see that they have.





http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.h鈥?/a>





Good Luck...The oil plug in my motorcycle would not tighten, if the oil pan stripped, how can I fix this? New oil pan???
Don't use the rubber plug. Those solution work fine UNTIL it fails (falls out). Then you are miles from home with a motorcycle bone dry. You need a more permanent solution. Report Abuse

If money doesn't matter with you, better you buy a new one.


But you may try one of the following before you buy a new one:


(You don't need to tighten it that much, just use your feeling).


1. Replace its rubber O-ring with a new one.


2. Apply thin layer of Teflon tape (plumbing things)


3. Fix the thread by enlarge it to a bigger size plug, and replace the plug accordingly.


4. Bring it to a welding shop that has aluminum weld to apply a thin layer cover all the thread surface, then re-threaded it.


5. Last option, buy a new one.





Good luck
Or use one of the rubber oil drain plugs that's made for this purpose. Any auto parts store has them. I used a rubber plug in my bike for years and years. They work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment