Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I have a 1988 volvo, engine runs, but has oil leak and needs brakes bad. Should I fix it or buy a new car?

if the body and interior are decent and the car basically runs and drives well, there is no reason for a new car. yours can probably be fixed for less than your indicated pocket book. good value is never out of style.


even the removal of the transmission to replace a rear main seal pays less than 3 hrs labor and the seal is only about 15 dollars [you will want to replace the torque converter seal at the same time so that will be another 15 dollars or so and a few tenths more labor.


if you elect to keep the car. you should look for a shop the same way and use the same criteria that you would to find a family doctor.


good luck and hope you keep ';rolling';I have a 1988 volvo, engine runs, but has oil leak and needs brakes bad. Should I fix it or buy a new car?
i have 94' volvo 850, i love it and i am in a similar position, it needs repairs and i know once they are taken care of it will be great, but i just am fed up with these mechanics who charge up the roof for it because its an import, and its actually and easy car to fix, i think yours is probably easier to fix because of the year, i think you should get the oil leak fixed, could be inexpensive, you could probably change the brake pads yourself, or find someone to do that,I have a 1988 volvo, engine runs, but has oil leak and needs brakes bad. Should I fix it or buy a new car?
Anyone who would eat the new car ';off the lot'; depreciation for a warranty has things backwards. Find out what kind of oil leak it is; if it's you rear main seal, which costs 1000 dollars(due to labor costs, not parts), don't fix it, but if it's a minor leak, get it fixed and that car will run forever.





I own a 1997 850 GLT T5 with 175,000 miles and it runs and drives like a brand new car. I also have a new 2009 C30 T5 that is one of the greatest cars I've ever owned or driven, and I used to be a valet in Palm Beach. =)
Fix it. The Volvos before the 90's were actually good cars.
If you have the money I would get a new car becuase of the warranty they come with.

No comments:

Post a Comment