Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How do I fix my cast iron skillet? I put it in the oven with too much oil and it is gunky.?

I wanted to season my skillet, but I put too much oil in it. I left it in the oven and the oil turned into this gummy residue that will not come off, no matter how much I scrub. Does anyone know how to fix this?How do I fix my cast iron skillet? I put it in the oven with too much oil and it is gunky.?
you need to get a clean fresh start on that one. sos pad and some 409 scrub well rince well once you get it clean put it on top of stove get just hot enough to dry it completely then use a paper towel and put on a lite coat of oil to keep it from rusting... you shold season it in lares of oil.bakeing biscuts and corn bread or soda bread in it will season it really well,greese generiouslu just before bakeing youre bread in it the more bread you bake in it the better it will get wipe out crums instead of washing.also if you like gumbo you can make youre roux half flour half oil and bake it it is easyer than the stove top methiod and a great way to season the skillit happy cooking p.s. if you dont get it clean that way you may have to burn the stuff out by building a camp fire outside place skillit upside down in fire.How do I fix my cast iron skillet? I put it in the oven with too much oil and it is gunky.?
I did the same thing and I sprayed mine with oven cleaner...stuck it in a black trash bag and put it in the sun. Next day spray it off with the garden hose and a high pressure nozzel. No scrubbing and you can start over by heating skillet on stove and then wiping with oil.
Try boiling the gunk out with water and a little dishsoap. As the gunk begins to soften, scrape out with a skillet.





You may have to change the water/soap multiple times.





Then rinse and reseason





If this doesn't work, look for a sandblaster in your area and see if they can sandblast the pan clean.





Good luck
Chicagirl51 is on the right track. I did the same thing the first time I tried seasoning a pan 20 years ago. I added regular ammonia to the pan, about 1/4 cup, put it in a plastic bag in the sun, then scrubbed it the next day with an SOS pad and re-seasoned it. Another helpful hint...Use vegetable oil, not lard, bacon grease, or any other animal fat to season it.
Put it in the BBQ grill, tune it up on high and leave until all the gunk burns off. Then wash your skillet and season it.





Sorta like a self-cleaning oven ;-)
Put some mineral oil in the pan and let it sit for several days before wiping it out with dry paper towels. It will be okay, those pans last forever. I bought one several months ago with ribs molded right in the bottom and when I cook fish in it I get those nice grill marks.
I would think that the skillet is cast iron. If it is, try putting in the oven with a layer of salt (1/8 in) turn on the oven to 500oF for a half hour, through out the salt, let it cool then wash in soap and water then put oil in the pan return it to the oven at 200oF for about an hour


Or you could try cleaning it by putting it on the top of the stove (burner) almost full of water, put a drop or liquid dish detergent in the water then bring to a boil let it cool then it should wash the gunk out.


have fun.
Put a few drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid in it, add water, put it on the stove, bring the water to a simmer and let it simmer for a few minutes. Dump it out, and if needed do it again. Depending on how much gunk is there, you may have to do this several times, then you should be able to hand wash it.





After it is cleaned, rinse well in HOT water, dry it, place it back on the burner to dry thoroughly, then re-season with light coatings of oil.









No comments:

Post a Comment