Saturday, December 26, 2009

I sprayed an older bottle of Paint Fix-it on my oil painting and it darkened/yellowed the paint?

Is there anything I can do at this point to undo it or make it look better without ruining the painting?I sprayed an older bottle of Paint Fix-it on my oil painting and it darkened/yellowed the paint?
If the painting was completely dry you may be able to clean the spray off with turpentine. Try a small corner first to see if it worksI sprayed an older bottle of Paint Fix-it on my oil painting and it darkened/yellowed the paint?
Chances are a spray will be a definite challenge, even if it is possible to clean it up. If the painting is fairly fresh (finished recently) cleaning it with spirits will probably remove paint. If the oil paint is cured enough that it can withstand a cleaning, I am not sure a spray fix can be removed. Oil paintings are usually finished with varnish, but it is recommended that six months to a year pass before taking this final step. Using an old can of spray fix . . . did you do this to save time or money? It will be a costly lesson in patience for you, I am afraid.





I found this blog outlining the steps to cleaning an oil painting. http://www.angel-art-house.com/artblog/2鈥?/a> If nothing else, note that if you do not use the proper materials to clean it you could damage it beyond repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment