Saturday, December 26, 2009

What should I do to fix the walls that are painted with oil paint?

We recently moved to a 55 year old home and the previous owner painted the walls in oil paint. The problem is he painted over latex with no primer and the walls are peeling. Where should I go from here?What should I do to fix the walls that are painted with oil paint?
This happens more often than you'd think.





Scrape the loose paint. Sand the areas you've scraped. Try to eliminate the ';edge'; around the scraped areas. Go to a paint store (not a ';big box'; discount store) and ask for a slow drying oil based primer. A fast drying one like Kilz will work, but a slow drying one will work better in this case. Ask if they have a ';low V.O.C.'; primer or allow for plenty of ventilation when you apply it.





While you're there, purchase the paint they recommend using over the primer.





Prime the whole wall and let it dry according to the directions on the can. Paint, and enjoy.What should I do to fix the walls that are painted with oil paint?
Well I don't know how much money you want to spend, but I am thinking to resolve the issue is to re-texture your walls. Get as many chips out as you can, primer, texture, primer, and paint. Sounds like a lot of work, I know. That would solve the problem.


But if you just want a simple Job I would remove the chips and primer, and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment