Saturday, December 26, 2009

Are they charging me too much to fix my oil leak?

I had a bad oil leak on my 1991 camry about 2 quarts every week...They told me I needed a new timing belt, and I had three major leaks....The total $900, which he lowered to $700, bc he knows me...does this price seem reasonable, he's nice but i'm a female and i dont want to be taken advantage ofAre they charging me too much to fix my oil leak?
Where are the ';three major leaks';?





The timing belt might need replacing as part of the disassembly (it's one of those components that is adviseable to replace whenever it must be removed to access something else). Also, it may be contaminated with oil, and in that case you would want to replace it.





It sounds like they might be wanting to replace seals on the camshaft and crankshaft (two places ';major'; leaks can occur), and if that is what needs to be done, $700 is not a bad price.Are they charging me too much to fix my oil leak?
cam seal,crank seal and main seal.if this guy is a dealer,than it is a good price.if he is a backyard guy not so good.
Depends on where those leaks were. If one of them happened to be the rear main seal on the engine, there's a lot of labor involved in replacing that one. A front main is a bit less, but still a good sized job.





To replace the rear main seal, he has to separate the transmission from the engine. No small job.
It sounds like he probably changed both the front and rear (or right and left since your engine is sideways) main seals as well as the oil pan gasket. It's a time consuming job, so it's expensive. If he did all that I mentioned plus the timing belt, then you are not getting ripped off, it's just a major job.
We can't really say for sure, but with the timing belt, it doesn't sound like a bad price. The three leaks could be a simple fix to a complicated, labor intensive, involved process.





Any time you can get away under $1000 you aren't doing bad. good luck.
Not a bad price at all if that includes parts and labor. The timing belt alone might be a 300-400 $ job easy. If you have the money and are getting all that done, you might want to as well get the water pump replaced as the timing belt is usually running that as well. That's if the water pump hasn't been replaced already. All your really going to pay for is the pump itself as the timing belt will be off anyways.
Sounds fair. Some places charge 200- 300 just to replace the belt. Most likely he also replaced the front and rear main seals.


The reason her cut you a break was because he was already in the front to do the belt so he went and changed the seal while he was in there. I can't guess where the other leak was.


Timing belts are pretty labor intensive on allot of cars. I think you did O K
Depends on where the leaks are, but sounds like a pretty good price to me.
what did he replace other then the timing belt......what was the oil leak,and did he do the water pump for that is alway done with the timing belts
yes maybe 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment