Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Why does my car oil leak only when the car is left on and how can I fix this problem?

I just bought a 1996 Nissan 200sx and I believe the previous owner might have put too much oil in it. I have not driven it much yet, maybe about 50 miles since I bought it, but when I turned the car on to listen to the radio and check the lights, I noticed the car started leaking a little bit of oil. Could this do some serious damage to my car? What are the possible causes for this oil leak that only happens when the car is left on? What are some potential solutions that I should try? Thank you all so much for your help!Why does my car oil leak only when the car is left on and how can I fix this problem?
It just means the vehicle only leaks when it's running. Your mechanic should be able to find it and replace whatever seal is bad. The costs would depend on where the leak is, which is impossible to guess from your description.





Also, check the oil, if it is overfilled this could be part of the problem, again, have your mechanic drain some out and check it for leaks afterward.Why does my car oil leak only when the car is left on and how can I fix this problem?
Yes, it could do alot of damage if you don't keep the oil full. Take it to a shop for inspection as there are too many possible causes to guess at.
It leaks when its running, because hot oil is thinner than it is when it is cold. Just keep the oil full, and you should have any problems that would be caused if it ran low in oil.
the first thing i would check would be a leaking oil pressure sending unit... then look at camshaft and crankshaft seals..

No comments:

Post a Comment