Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My 60 hp Mercury 4-stroke has an oil leak-where is it coming from and what will it take to fix it?

I removed the cowling and the side plates that cover the foot, and where the powerhead is attached to the foot, there is oil building up under the bottom of the powerhead- I could see no leak where it is draining down from the powerhead, only a buildup of oil around the bottom of the powerhead. First 4-stroke and I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. Any and all help will be appreaciated. Thanks!My 60 hp Mercury 4-stroke has an oil leak-where is it coming from and what will it take to fix it?
Its really possible that oil is residue from sloppy oil changes. Those mid-sized mercs are a ***** to keep clean when removing the filter, and ive done thousands! The only other place oil can come from is the cam cover(not likely) or the base gasket( more likely). Do a super clean on the engine, keep a eye on the oil level, run the boat, pull the lower cowls off and see what you can see. I presume your motor has a guardian alarm, or smartcraft, listen for the alarm! Good luck.My 60 hp Mercury 4-stroke has an oil leak-where is it coming from and what will it take to fix it?
My guess is that it would be coming for a knock loose oil line same thig happened to my mercury 90 from all the bouncin on the water.

1 comment:

  1. I have a 2003 60hp 4 cyl 4 stroke leaking under the cover,I cleaned with soap ran it more oil,can't tell where it's leaking it drops down the tail out the exhaust port,any thoughts,plugs are great color,it seems to much oil pressure

    ReplyDelete