Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How do you fix a rip in an oil painting?

I am so mad at one of my kids...they won't fess up but one of them did it, likely my youngest. I have two lovely paintings that I have had for 20 years...and I notice that one has a good 3 inch rip on it..it's pretty well a straight up and down rip, can't even imagine what they did that with...I will have to take the back off now to fix it...but should I just tape the canvas on the backside and with what? Or what is the best way to mend it? I know I should take it in but they will probably charge a fortune for that. I wondered if there was a way I could fix it myself that wouldn't damage it in the long run.How do you fix a rip in an oil painting?
.glue a piece of canvas on the back damage area...How do you fix a rip in an oil painting?
The only real way to keep the damage to a minimum is to take it to a conservator. Contact a museum and get a recommendation from them.
Hey Eve,





Take it to a pro if it is worth something, qualified fine art conservators is what you look for. See below. I found one person recommended fine art conservators, because he was fixing them by puttin masking tape on the back and varnish on the rip. You may find some tips at the sites that the search string takes you to, below:

No comments:

Post a Comment