Tuesday, December 22, 2009

How much can I expect to pay a mechanic to find (and fix) the source of oil leaking from my car?

My car is leaking a good amount of oil. I know the engine itself is in fine condition because I just had that all checked a couple weeks ago, so I'm guessing just a seal or something needs to be fixed. The thing is I am out of town and don't have access to all my money. What should I expect do pay for this?How much can I expect to pay a mechanic to find (and fix) the source of oil leaking from my car?
Finding it and fixing it are two different things.





If it's leaking, it might not be that hard to find. If you're going through oil but DON'T have any dripping leaks, then you might be burning it, which is a bigger project.





If you're dripping oil, they should be able to find it for not much money. Maybe the oil nut wasn't tightened enough.





If you're burning oil, it'll take longer to find it, and definitely much more to fix it.How much can I expect to pay a mechanic to find (and fix) the source of oil leaking from my car?
i own a repair shop,and this is almost impossible to answer since you didn't tell us the exact area its leaking from,if it was to turn out to be a rear main seal in it and they had to remove the transmission,it would cost a lot,now you can see why its real I'mportant to tell us a general area where it might be coming from,just at a guess,it could cost anywhere from 50 bucks all the way up to 400 on it,and im serious,it could cost that much.good luck i hope this helps.
Like some of the others said, finding and fixing are completely different. If you have an oozing leak like it just looks like residue it would be harder to find without oil dye. If its dripping it should be easy to find..common oil leaks are drain plugs, valve cover gaskets, head gaskets, cam seals. head gaskets and cam seals are expensive...prolly around 1k for parts and labor.If your burning oil it will definitely be more expensive and common problems causing a burn could be bad piston rings,valve guides...things like this could cost depending on the garage and how they decide to fix it (weather or not they pull the motor) about 2k-2.5k and I would dare say garages are gonna get about 60-65 per hour for a dealer and around 35-50 for an independent shop
Finding it should be almost free; fixing it can cost hundreds of dollars. Depends on where the leak is located. If it's at the pan seal, you're looking at big bucks, since the engine will probably have to be removed. Same thing for rear seals. The front seal is a lot less expensive, but still not cheap.





I'd invest in a case of oil, drive the car home (checking the oil frequently and topping it off as necessary) and take it to a trusted mechanic (bring lots of cash or be prepared to melt down your credit card!)
I don't know what the charge would be, but a rule of thumb I go by is. Extra money is what you get the day before your car breaks down.
they get about 45 dollars an hour
  • rimmel
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment